Composite White Fillings
Composite White Fillings
At Stonebrook Pediatric Dentistry, we understand the importance of maintaining your child’s healthy and beautiful smile. Led by Dr. Abhishek Bhaumik, our team is dedicated to providing high-quality dental care that ensures optimal oral health and restores teeth with aesthetic precision. We are proud to offer composite white fillings as a natural-looking and durable solution for tooth decay in children in Frisco, TX.
What are Composite White Fillings?
Composite white fillings, also known as tooth-colored or resin fillings, are dental restorations used to treat tooth decay or cavities. They are made of a biocompatible composite material that closely matches the color and appearance of natural teeth. Composite fillings are an excellent alternative to traditional metal amalgam fillings, providing a more aesthetically pleasing and conservative restoration.
Composite White Fillings and Silver Fillings
When it comes to dental fillings for children, there are two primary options: silver fillings (amalgam) and composite white fillings. Silver fillings are made of mercury, silver, tin, and copper. They have been used for many years and are known for their durability and strength. On the other hand, composite white fillings are made of a tooth-colored resin material that closely matches the natural color of the teeth.
One significant difference between the two is the aesthetic appearance. Composite white fillings blend seamlessly with the surrounding teeth, making them virtually indistinguishable, while silver fillings are more noticeable due to their metallic color. Another difference is the preservation of natural tooth structure.
Composite fillings require minimal removal of healthy tooth structure, while silver fillings often necessitate more significant tooth preparation. Additionally, composite fillings are bonded to the tooth, enhancing its strength and reducing the risk of fractures. Overall, composite white fillings are popular for children due to their aesthetic appeal and conservative approach to preserving the natural tooth structure.
The Benefits of Composite White Fillings:
- Aesthetically pleasing: Composite fillings are customized to match the shade of your child’s natural teeth, creating a seamless and natural-looking restoration. They blend in seamlessly with the surrounding tooth structure, making them virtually indistinguishable from the other teeth.
- Preservation of natural tooth structure: Compared to metal amalgam fillings, composite white fillings require minimal removal of healthy tooth structure. This conservative approach helps preserve more of the natural tooth, resulting in a stronger and healthier tooth in the long run.
- Bonding strength: Composite fillings are bonded directly to the tooth surface, creating a strong and durable restoration. This bonding process enhances the overall strength of the tooth and reduces the risk of fractures or cracks.
- Versatility: Composite fillings can restore both front and back teeth, providing versatility in treating various types of cavities. They can repair small to moderate-sized cavities and are suitable for children of all ages.
- Metal-free and biocompatible: Composite fillings are made of a metal-free and biocompatible material, an excellent option for children with metal allergies or sensitivities.